Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Bad telemarketing

In India, I am used to getting calls where people call and hang up. But here? With all the laws enabling me to sue the caller for thousands of dollars?

Apparantly, a lot of people are having the same issue. The following numbers have called my cell multiple times in the past few days:
1) 727-450-0346
2) 888-669-8868
3) Another one that I lost.

If I call them back, either they don't ring or no one picks up.

Now, I am not the one who goes around giving her cell to random online websites. So, the question is, how on earth did they get my number?

(I am not on the do-not-call list. But as is clear form the above link, that doesn't help.)

My guess is that this is a telemarketing company selling various services like credit cards, free vacations etc.

By experience, I am sure that they will stop if I don't respond. I will probably be added to non-responding numbers within a week or so. ( hopefully :-) )
-----------

The worst telemarketers are cops asking for charity. Vinit and Piet, couldn't say no to the scary sounding seargant from the local police station who needed to speak with someone NOW. We 'donated' a few hundred bucks till I stepped in and started taking the calls.

My brilliant idea?

Simple- " We just recently donated to another local police station. I would like to give money for your kids/farewell/firetruck/golf outing but our budget is already extended. How about you call me in 6 months? "

I get a call twice a year now. happy me.

Yes- I am just a greedy capitalist.

( I do donate, btw and a lot; just not to golf outings of the new mafia)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home