Wednesday, July 19, 2006

X-to-be

As most of you know, I am engaged to be married to my 5.5 year love, Vinit. As we already work together, hang out together and live close by to each other, we know each other pretty well. We also know each other's families. This last part creates a quandary for our close relatives and esp the kids. Nieces and nephes, just learning the first few words can not be taught to call us didi/bhaiya and then later change to mamisa,bhabhi/mosaji,jijaji.

The solution or the informal correction that comes into play is the '-to-be' suffix. So, I am bhabhi-to-be, mamisa-to-be, bahu-to-be. It's fun.

I wonder if I will have the same trouble letting go of this nomenclature as I am having with BF. BF sounds so muc better than fiance. 'husband': I am not sure of.

These are the musing of a girl- so you men shud kepe your witty comments to yourself.

9 Comments:

Blogger Anomalizer said...

Thank god I am not you nephew (to be)! Doesn't it kind of sound a little artificial? I'd assume that at this stage in your life you only understand concepts like "my man" rather than "was my BF, now my fiance, will be my husband".

July 22, 2006 at 2:33:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you have changed Suramya's Blog to 'Simmu Bhaiya' shouldn't you also change Vinit -> 'Patidev ji'

:)

- Suramya

July 24, 2006 at 3:27:00 PM EDT  
Blogger Vinit Bhansali said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

July 25, 2006 at 10:45:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Vinit Bhansali said...

I think this has always happened ... the time between engagement and wedding is tough on the kids ... esp. the ones who knew the future aunt/uncle just as "his friend or her classmate"

Though, a few excited ones just go all the way and forget the -to-be part of it.

Also, X-to-be needs to become "something-to-be"!

July 25, 2006 at 10:56:00 AM EDT  
Blogger EntrepreneurNI said...

anomalizer- the relationship by itself , exists independent of the name assigned to it whether it is bf, fiance or husband. What changes with this nomenclature is my relationship with people around us and the implied and expected responsibilities. It also signifies that I am growing older than the 17 yr old who started going out with him.

July 25, 2006 at 10:58:00 AM EDT  
Blogger EntrepreneurNI said...

bhaiya, if i were naming links according to your wishes, 'Vinit!' would be either a '...' , 'sunteho' or ' pati parmeshwar'.
Alas, you have no such luck!

July 25, 2006 at 11:01:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Anomalizer said...

'Vinit!' would be either a '...' , 'sunteho'

By public demand... we want to see that. Btw, someone tell me where do the 'possessed' pics from mystery spot go?

July 25, 2006 at 2:12:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

By public demand... we want to see that.

I second the request.

- Suramya

July 25, 2006 at 3:51:00 PM EDT  
Blogger EntrepreneurNI said...

haha- there needs to be a third to count a motion.
can't you put the pics up on your blog or flickr or kodak gallery or yahoo photos or something like that? (i.e. if you are referring to posting the pics and not the pics getting lost)

July 25, 2006 at 6:41:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home