Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Nation of Geeks

In most western countries, India is considered a nation of computer programmers. Most Americans believe that Indians are either programmers or doctors. I used to dismiss these notions as their narrow purview attributed to their lack of exposure.

However, a latest trend made me wonder whether I should rethink my own stance.

I have been receiving a fair amount of wedding invitations(from India) that have either been scanned or are some other innovative digital invite. All my friends actually consider sending a physical card a thing for older people. From the same family, my parents will get a pretty card and I will get the digital version.

This, if you know my drift, doesn't happen in western countries. I have not received a single digital invite. Sure, wedding registries are widely used but no digital invites.

Does this mean that whether we are programmers, artists, journalists, fashion designers, accountants, doctors or even manufacturers, we are, in our hearts, just a nation of geeks?

7 Comments:

Blogger The thinking thinker said...

May be it is easier than posting an actual invite to US... in terms of money, effort, time taken etc.

June 22, 2007 at 6:03:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Sammodon said...

Indians in General are not geeeks, but "Cheap". Instead of "looking" cheap and sending just one card, to the entire family, they send the actual card to the family head (parents) in our case, and evites or scanned cards to us.

June 22, 2007 at 6:41:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Vinit Bhansali said...

@Sameer
Well, whenever did becoming better at technology make you cheap?

Next thing, you'll say that Indians use SMS and online chatting because they are too cheap to make long distance calls.

Go on, say it ...

June 22, 2007 at 11:13:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Suramya said...

maybe its just convenience. Its a lot easier to email a scanned copy of a card to 50 people than to go and post them. (Yes I did both, so am speaking from experience)

Plus mailing cards long distance is expensive.

Vinit,
Indian's use SMS a lot because its convenient and fast and cheaper :-D

- suramya

June 22, 2007 at 2:13:00 PM EDT  
Blogger AlterinG Abhishek said...

noooooooooooooooo

June 25, 2007 at 4:56:00 AM EDT  
Blogger Anomalizer said...

Should a great accident ever happen, I shall send you a "dead tree" version of the card. Happy?

June 26, 2007 at 9:13:00 AM EDT  
Blogger EntrepreneurNI said...

arvind,
Not at all!
I am proud to be a geek. I love the fact that we are such a technologically advanced country and I would never want to take a step backwards.

June 26, 2007 at 10:04:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home