Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Jashmein Azadi! Swatantrata divas ki mubarakein! Happy Independence Day!


15th August 2006 Independence Day
Credits: www.timesofindia.com


Away from my country, but with my people, I celebrate today with friends. A small Indian dinner tonight, desi clubbing on Friday and New York's own Indian Day parade on Sunday.

What I miss is the chaat, the dozens of people coming over with sweets, going to India Gate, watching the Rashtrapati speech.

Being surrounded by the tri colours- in flags, in sweets, in clothes. Reading about the day in newspapers. Listening to the march-past by our house. The endless dinners and lunches and cocktails hosted by us and our neighbours. Climbing to the roof and saluting the flag.

--------------------------------

Happy Independence Day to all my friends. Let's celebrate this day for what it is- a mark of our freedom, the day of the beginning of India- of us- of our future generations. The day after which, we could say what we wanted to say, do what we wanted to do, make mistakes with the pride that they were ours to make.

The day because of which, I can start my own business, I can visit any club, date anyone I want to, build my community, sleep under India Gate.

The day because of which, I can proudly say I am Indian.

1 Comments:

Blogger Vinit Bhansali said...

Yes, not being able to clamber up to the roof and helping my uncle host the flag.
Not being able to go to school to see the parade.
Not being able to celebrate with all my friends and family.

But you know what? It doesn't matter. Because of our brave freedom fighters, we can be anywhere, at anytime and still proudly wear the tiranga and celebrate the freedom in our hearts.

August 15, 2006 at 12:07:00 PM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home